[Trilinos-Users] Building with -fPIC flag

Christopher Parmer christopher.parmer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 11:14:04 MDT 2011

Hi All,

I'm linking my trilinos project with matlab and so I (er.. matlab mex files)
need the libraries to be 'position independent' or compiled with the -fPIC
flag.

I tried rebuilding trilinos (via ccmake, make, make install) with -fPIC in
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS, (and later I added it to CMAKE_C_FLAGS,
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS), but I get the same error with respect to the
libaztecoo and a few other packages. However, my simple examples with Epetra
CrsMatrices now work.

Am I missing a flag somewhere? Or are some libraries not written to be
'position independent'?

Sorry if this is a simple question - I'm very new to linking and building
large packages.

Thanks,

Chris

--