[Trilinos-Users] Error Compiling Trilinos on Ubuntu 11.04

Dustin Langewisch dustinl at mit.edu
Wed Jul 20 21:37:41 MDT 2011

Hi Matt,

I recently installed trilinos on Ubuntu 10.04 and saw a similar error. I'm a
noob, so there's probably a better fix, but I ended up completely removing
mpich and used openmpi instead, as Nuno recommended. I encountered these
issues when installing on my workstation, on which I had previously
installed mpich. On my laptop, I've never installed mpich and the trilinos
install went flawlessly, so my guess is it's an mpich issue.

As for the -fPIC problem, I had a similar issue but when linking to Dakota.
Kurtis' suggestion is probably the correct fix. I had never used CMake
before and wasn't sure how to add the flag so I just exported the following
variables:
         export CFLAGS="-fPIC"
         export CXXFLAGS="-fPIC"
         export FCFLAGS="-fPIC"
         export F77FLAGS="-fPIC"
That seemed to work.

Good luck,
Dustin

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Nuno Sucena Almeida <slug at aeminium.org>wrote:

> On 07/20/2011 08:22 PM, Matt Bockman wrote:
> > /usr/local/lib/libmpich.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
>
> Hi Matt,
>        I see that you are using mpich. I usually compile against openmpi,
> so
> that might be the problem.
>        What does
>
> update-alternatives --config mpi