[Trilinos-Users] Error Compiling Trilinos on Ubuntu 11.04

Matt Bockman mdbockma at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 20 18:22:32 MDT 2011

Hi,

I took the steps Nuno and Matthew Goodman suggested, namely:

1) installing necessary libraries
2) installing atlas using Goodman's script
3) Using Nuno's config script to do the configuration
4) Run make

However, during the build I get an error which Google can't seem to find any
information on:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libmpich.a(allreduce.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
against `MPIR_ThreadSingle' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/lib/libmpich.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [packages/teuchos/src/libteuchos.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [packages/teuchos/src/CMakeFiles/teuchos.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Anyone ever seen this before or knows what it means? I'm very confused.

Thanks,
Matt