[Trilinos-Users] Using NOX with Broyden method

Roger Pawlowski rppawlo at sandia.gov
Fri Jul 1 08:43:13 MDT 2011

Hi Mainak,

The NOX parameter list reference page shows the options for all solvers
including Broyden's method and Quasi-Newton:
http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/docs/r10.6/packages/nox/doc/html/parameters.html

The limited memory broyden method is documented here:
http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/docs/r10.6/packages/nox/doc/html/classNOX_1_1Direction_1_1Broyden.html

This page gives a description of the method and how to enable it.  To
summarize, set the solver to "Line Search Based" and set the direction
to "Broyden".   We use an implementation given by T. C. Kelley in his
1995 book.

The Quasi-Newton support was never released to users, and is only built
if you enable prerelease code using the flag (-DNOX_BUILD_PRERELEASE).
No promises on performance or correctness.

The references used to write the quasi-newton code are:
   1. R. H. Byrd, J. Nocedal, and R. B. Schnabel, Representations of
        quasi-Newton matrices and their use in limited memory methods,
<em>Math. Prog.</em> 63 (1994): 129-156.
   2. J. Nocedal, Updating quasi-Newton matrices with limited storage,
<em>Mathematics of Computation</em> 35 (1980): 773-782.

For more information on the Quasi-Newton code, look at the header in:
trilinos-10.6.4-Source/packages/nox/src/NOX_Direction_QuasiNewton.H

Hope this helps.

Roger