[Trilinos-Users] Creating linear operators by combining other linear operators

Baker, Christopher G. bakercg at ornl.gov
Fri Jul 1 08:37:05 MDT 2011

Hi Einar,

There are a few different linear operator interfaces in Trilinos. Most
notably, there are Epetra and Thyra.
Supporting composite linear operators in Thyra is more straight-forward
than Epetra, because the linear operator interface is based on
y = alpha*Op*x + beta*y
whereas Epetra's linear operator interface is
y = Op*x
As such, Thyra has significant support for composite operators of many
different forms. I have used these in the past, and they are very
convenient. See, for example, the "Composite and other linear operator
base classes" under the THyra operator/vector extended interfaces at the
following URL:
trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/docs/r10.6/packages/thyra/doc/html/index.html#
interfaces_operator_vector_ana_extended

In particular, the one that you are looking for is here:
trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/docs/r10.6/packages/thyra/doc/html/classThyra_
1_1MultipliedLinearOpBase.html

As for Epetra, I don't know of an implementation to support this. It
should be straightforward to write one, and to encapsulate it into an
Epetra_Operator implementation.

Chris