[Trilinos-Users] Question on Epetra_BlockMap with variable element length

Littlewood, David John djlittl at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 28 16:18:43 MST 2011

Mike,

I dug around a bit for the exception that was being thrown when an element has zero length.  The exception is thrown in the Epetra_BlockMap constructor where the entries in the ElementSizeList are explicitly checked to make sure they are not <= 0.  I changed this to check for < 0 and the simple test I was looking at passed.  Could it be possible that the only required change is to switch the check from 'ElementSizeList[i] <= 0' to 'ElementSizeList[i] < 0' ?

I don't have any experience with Epetra_CrsGraph, but I took a quick look at the documentation.  It looks to me that Epetra_CrsGraph would work for storing connectivity, but in our case we have "peridynamic bond data" that we need to store as well.  There is a bond associated with each neighbor of a given node, and this bond could have an arbitrary set of constitutive data attached to it (scalars).  An Epetra_MultiVector works great except for the little glitch we're discussing; I can allocate the number of vectors in the multivector to the number of bond data associated with a given constitutive model, and I can allocate space for an arbitrary number of bonds for each node.

I'll e-mail you directly and send you a little test code I put together.

Thanks,
Dave