[Trilinos-Users] How are data transfer scheduled inside Epetra

Heroux, Michael A maherou at sandia.gov
Tue Jan 18 23:17:22 MST 2011

Riccardo,

The communication in Epetra is found in the Epetra_MpiDistributor class.

However, perhaps the best way to get the same behavior for your own code is to derive your class off of the Epetra_DistObject class.  If you do this, you only need to provide a few simple check, pack and and unpack routine and let Epetra do all of the data exchange.  A fairly simple example of how to do this is the Epetra_IntVector class:

http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/docs/r10.6/packages/epetra/doc/html/classEpetra__IntVector.html

If you derive your class from DistObject, you can immediately use the Import and Export methods on your objects, and use precomputed importers and exporters (the same ones you have already set up) to do the data exchange.

I hope this helps.

Mike