[Trilinos-Users] How are data transfer scheduled inside Epetra

rrossi at cimne.upc.edu rrossi at cimne.upc.edu
Tue Jan 18 15:08:03 MST 2011

Dear list,

 i would like to understand (at least superficially) how
the communication is scheduled inside Epetra.

Let's suppose i define an
Epetra_Import or Export. This defines a list of the data to be communicated
to/from each processor.

the Import method "magically" takes this
information and performs all of the communication.

I would like to use
the same info to emulate the epetra using my own data structures,
unfortunatelly i do not understand how the communication is

colored, that
is, i am not sure of which processor will communicate first.

to explain
it graphically let's suppose i have the 4 domains

1 | 2

-----

3 | 4

for example we may want to say

that comunication happens at once
between 12 and 34

and that after this first communication we need to
communicate 13 and 24

followed possible by the diagonal communication.

this thing is obviously dealt with inside Epetra...just i don't
understand how. Could anyone guide me on where to find this info?

thank
you

Riccardo