[Trilinos-Users] problems with ReplaceGlobalValues

Williams, Alan B william at sandia.gov
Thu Feb 3 07:47:13 MST 2011

Riccardo,

When GlobalAssemble gathers the matrix data from the overlapping distribution to the non-overlapping distribution, there isn't an easy way for it to figure out which value 'wins' for terms that come from multiple processors. For example if proc 1 set element (10,12) to a value of 5, and proc 2 sets the same element to a value of 7, what should the value be in the assembled matrix? What does 'replace' mean in that case? The most common usage for finite-element assemblies is to add them, so that's what we've chosen to do. Let us know if a different option would make sense for your scenario.

Alan