[Trilinos-Users] [EXTERNAL] Re: Exodus and MPI

Kevin Long kevin.long at ttu.edu
Tue Dec 13 15:31:08 MST 2011

The various partitioning scripts in Sundance use pxo, but there's
nothing special about that suffix.

It would probably be better to run nem_slice and nem_spread if you can
get them built. If you do please let me know the magic cmake incantation
you used;  after quite a bit of playing with cmake options I still have
been unable to get them to build.

Kevin

On 12/13/2011 04:24 PM, Perschbacher, Brent M wrote:
> Andrea,
>   Shota is correct that Sundance is expecting your mesh files to
> already be decomposed for the number of processors you are running on.
> The name “square-2-0.pxo” is the common naming scheme for spread
> it has always been exo in my experience, but maybe that has changed).
>
> There are tools inside of SEACAS for spreading meshes, nem_slice and
> nem_spread. They should have already been built based on the configure
> script you sent so you should be able to find them in your build or
> install directories. Unfortunately I can’t give you much advice on how
> to use them as it has been several years since I used either tool and
> I don’t recall any of the specifics. A quick google of nem_spread
> brought me to
> http://www.osti.gov/bridge/purl.cover.jsp?purl=/974871-3kTe6Y/, which
> is about Salinas, but does discuss a bit how to spread files for
> Salinas using nem_spread. More poking around on google would probably
> lead you to better information than that as I know that document is old.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Brent
>

> On 12/13/11 3:01 PM, "Shota Soga" <ssoga at ncsu.edu> wrote:
>
>     HI Andrea,
>
>     When you run Sundance with multi-dore, it asks to distributed mesh
>     by default for parallel computing.
>
>     I do not know how to generate distributed mesh with exodus
>     (probably Cubit can do this?), but in the source directory, I
>     thought there is python script to convert Exodus file to
>     partitioned triangle mesh. Then, use Triangle Mesh reader for
>     partitioned triangle mesh.
>
>     Shota
>
>     On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Andrea Penza <pepe.aero at alice.it>
>     wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         I have problems executing Sundance with ExodusII mesh. I'm
>         trying to run
>         it with MPI on the two processors of my DualCore. I've tested
>         MPI and
>         Exodus separately and everything was working.
>         Now the problem is that my system look for two splitted files
>         for the
>         mesh, particularly it search *.pxo file format.
>         The system reports this message at runtime:
>
>         andrea at andrea-MacBookPro:~/Projects/trilinos-10.8.3-Source/MyApps/LaplaceScalar$
>         <andrea at andrea-MacBookPro:%7E/Projects/trilinos-10.8.3-Source/MyApps/LaplaceScalar$>
>         time mpirun -np 2 ./LaplaceScalarExo.exe
>         Teuchos::GlobalMPISession::GlobalMPISession(): started
>         processor with
>         name andrea-MacBookPro and rank 0!
>         Teuchos::GlobalMPISession::GlobalMPISession(): started
>         processor with
>         name andrea-MacBookPro and rank 1!
>         Simulation built using Sundance version 2.3.0 (10 May 2008)
>         Sundance is copyright
>          (C) 2005-2008 Sandia National Laboratories
>          (C) 2007-2008 Texas Tech University
>         and is licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License,
> [...]

Kevin Long
Associate Professor
Texas Tech University

"The end of fear is the beginning of wisdom"
- Bertrand Russell