[Trilinos-Users] null space removal

Christopher K. Newman cnewman at lanl.gov
Wed Sep 8 12:55:12 MDT 2010

Hi Mike-

We have a nonlinear ocean model with many coupled pdes, which we are
trying to solve for the steady state using jfnk with gmres with a finite
difference jacobian as preconditioner.  Gmres does not seem to converge
and upon examination of the finite difference jacobian with matlab a
clear checkerboard nullspace mode appears in one of the components.  I
believe it is manifested in a divergence term.  I am wondering if this
null space accounts for the poor convergence and if it can be remedied
by a projection orthogonal to the nullspace similar to what is done for
the pure Neumann problem with a constant nullspace.

Chris

--
Christopher K. Newman
Los Alamos National Laboratory, T-3     Email: cnewman at lanl.gov
PO Box 1663 MS B216                           Phone: 505 606 0647
Los Alamos, NM 87545                          Fax: 505 665 5926