[Trilinos-Users] Parallel Performance and non-continuous block layout

Erik Boman egboman at sandia.gov
Mon Oct 4 11:10:23 MDT 2010

Scot,

In general, the data distribution (maps) will affect parallel
performance. You want to minimize communication between processors. I'm
not sure how to interpret the figures below. If the global numbers
correspond to the coordinates along the axis of a 1D PDE problem, then
clearly the contiguous map (top) is better than the non-contiguous map
(bottom), since there's less communication. However, if you're simply
relabeling your variables then I agree with Mike the difference should
be small (minor difference due to cache effects is possible).

Erik