[Trilinos-Users] SolverManagers does not initialize for some reason

Baker, Christopher G. bakercg at ornl.gov
Sat May 22 19:43:25 MDT 2010

Hello Mehmet,

This poorly-phrased error indicates that the eigenanalysis computed for the initial vectors was unsuccessful. The LOBPCG solver operates by using the initial vectors (those passed to Eigenproblem::setInitVec()) to project the eigenvalue problem to a small, dense problem that is solved to generate initial estimates of the solution. In this case, the initial problem could not be solved, apparently because the projection of the B matrix (from the original problem A*x=B*x*lambda) was not symmetric positive definite. This is either because the matrix B is not symmetric positive definite (a requirement for using both the BlockDavidson and LOBPCG solvers) or because the initial multivector did not have full column rank (perhaps it was initialized to all zeros or all ones? Try randomizing it.)

Chris