[Trilinos-Users] Question about FillComplete for EpetraCRS matrix

Natarajan CS csnataraj at gmail.com
Thu May 20 15:08:23 MDT 2010

Mike,
    Thanks for the suggestion. This was a mistake on my side, should have
taken a closer look at the matrix! With help from a colleague we figured It
was not a memory leak but rather a bad algorithmic issue. i was inserting
values where there shouldn't have been values. i.e node 4 (in a 2*2*2
system) for example had a -1 in the first sub-diagonal and that should not
have been the case! This makes me wonder, how exactly does FillComplete
function? In essence by goofing up my stencil I would think I am only
changing the sparsity pattern, so if all Fill complete is doing is changing
the indexing, why is there a problem?

Also as an aside, the current allocation of nodes to processors seems like
dividing linearly (i.e n/p nodes to each processor), is there another way to
do this? i mean distributing nodes in a checker board pattern? i.e
nx/px,ny/py,nz/pz nodes in each direction to every processor?

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.