[Trilinos-Users] Trilinos & timers

Charles Boivin charles.boivin at mayahtt.com
Tue Mar 2 12:15:58 MST 2010

Hello all,

I am investigating a problem we've noticed recently with our numerical solver based on Trilinos. The solver is being started by a Qt-driven executable which starts different executables sequentially. The problem we are seeing is that, for long solver runs, the Qt programs seems to be unable to start/fire timers, which pretty much renders the state machine unusable.

We're compiling against Trilinos 10.0.2, using AztecOO and ML, in particular. We can confirm the problem shows up on Linux, but it does not happen on XP64. As mentioned again, this problem only manifests itself on long runs (a few hours), for single- or multi-process runs.

The solver uses Teuchos::TimeMonitor and its timers to provide a timing summary at the end. Our first reaction was to disable the timers in our solver, but the problem is still there. At this point, we haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause or moment when this timer problem happens, so we're going a bit blind here.

I guess I have a few specific questions:
1. Is this a problem that has been encountered by anyone else?
2. Are these timers used in Trilinos itself?
3. If yes, is it possible to completely disable them?

Here's to hoping someone can help shed some light on this.

Thank you in advance,

Charles Boivin