[Trilinos-Users] Question about inserting a row not owned by a processor.

Williams, Alan B william at sandia.gov
Thu Jun 17 08:58:17 MDT 2010

> On that note, I don't see a function that accesses an element in a
> multi-vector, when globalLhs was Epetra_vector I could just use,
>
> value = (*globalLhs_)[i];
>
> do I have to extract the whole vector using
> Epetra_MultiVector::ExtractView to access an element of the vector?
>
> Thanks.

That's right. Note that Epetra_FEVector provides for assembling a multi-vector, with values being contributed from any processor. But once globalAssemble is called, and the underlying multi-vector is assembled, then you just have a regular multi-vector. i.e., at that point you can't retrieve off-processor values. At that point you have to use the import/export capabilities to re-distribute if you want values from another processor.

Alan