[Trilinos-Users] hermitian banded matrix factorization

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Wed Feb 24 07:36:49 MST 2010

Phil,

I have attached a simple python script that uses Komplex, so you can
see what PyTrilinos code looks like.  It uses AztecOO, which is the
Trilinos iterative solver, to solve a complex diagonal linear system.
For LU factorization of a sparse matrix, you would want to use the
Amesos package.  There are (real, non-complex) examples for that, too.

A quick primer:  The Epetra package provides (real, double precision)
linear algebra classes, such as Vector, MultiVector, Operator, a
variety of sparse matrices and a LinearProblem class, which
encapsulates a linear operator, an LHS vector and a RHS vector.
Different solver packages, such as AztecOO and Amesos, can take this
class or the individual components, and attempt to solve a linear
system.  The Komplex package provides a way to build an
Epetra.LinearProblem that is the equivalent real-valued representation
of a complex system.

So for your problem, complex values are covered, sparsity is covered,
but I'm not sure if there is a sparse matrix class that takes
advantage of symmetry.

HTH