[Trilinos-Users] [Stk-developers] Unique enumeration of faces in STK mesh?

Michael Buksas mwbuksas at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 10 10:39:54 MDT 2010

> We have a "skinning" capability for STK-Mesh where only boundary faces are generated.
> Generating all (interior and boundary) faces would be a simpler capability.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought.

> The algorithm you are using is good; assuming the {nodeId}->faceId function is unique and will not run into scaling problems for large meshes.

I figure the naive approach is O(N*log N), assuming logarithmic lookups
in the hash table. I may try to come up with something better later.

> Field data can be stored on faces just like any other mesh entity.
> I believe the element->face relations should provide the map you need.

That's a great segue to my next question. Is the canonical way to access
these maps something like:

   PairIterRelation rel = element.relations(stk::mesh::Face)

Or is there another interface?

Michael W. Buksas
CCS-7: Applied Computer Science
Los Alamos National Laboratory