[Trilinos-Users] Unique enumeration of faces in STK mesh?

Michael Buksas mwbuksas at lanl.gov
Thu Aug 5 14:18:19 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I have an application where I need to keep track of unknowns defined on
the faces of cells. This requires a unique id for each face and some
kind of element to face id map.

As far as I can tell, STK mesh doesn't have a built-in capability for
this. It's not hard to write, but I wanted to make sure I'm not
re-inventing the wheel.

My current approach is to iterate over the local faces of each element
as it declare it, and store a unique key based on it's node ids. Then I
only declare the face if it hasn't already been seen. Next step is to
add fields storing the (element, local face) -> global face map.

Are there better approaches? What do other people do when they have
face-defined unknowns?

Thanks,
Mike Buksas

--