[Trilinos-Users] FW: building with shared libraries

Perschbacher, Brent M bmpersc at sandia.gov
Thu Oct 8 09:31:52 MDT 2009

Right now building trilinos as shared objects is not the default so as long as you don't turn it on you will have static libraries. You can verify this by looking at the cmake cache variable "BUILD_SHARED_LIBS" either in the gui or by searching through the CMakeCache.txt file that is generated by the configure process. It should be set to "OFF" for static builds. There are some platforms/compilers where shared builds are the standard (sun comes to mind, maybe windows too) which might be where the the comment about automatically turning on of shared comes from. If you aren't on a system like that then static should be what you get. If you want to make 100% sure that your builds are always static you could set BUILD_SHARED_LIBS to off in your configure scripts, that should override any system default that may make the build shared. None of our testing platforms default to shared so I can't say I've tried that case though.

Brent