[Trilinos-Users] Problem with Moocho...

Luca Heltai luca.heltai at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 04:48:55 MDT 2009

Dear Trilinos users,

I've been using Moocho for a while now (ver. 9.0.3), and I managed to
solve a few interesting problems with it. Lately I modified a piece of
my nlp specification to generalize a work i did in the past. Just to
give you some insights:

we're talking of

min f(x)

subject to c(x) = 0

xL< x < xU

x is a n vector
c(x) is a m dimensional non linear function, f(x) is a (highly) non
linear function and some of the xLs and xUs are the same (boundary
conditions).

The difference between now and before is that the m dimension grew a
lot. I don't use the ThyraEpetraModel, because i do not have a natural
"a priori" separation of the variables in dependent and independent.

I get the following warning in the MoochoJournal:

*** DecompositionSystemVarReductImp::update_decomp(...) ***

Warning!!! mat_rel != MATRICES_INDEP_IMPS; The decompsition matrix
objects may not be independent
of each other!

I was getting the same warning before, but then everything always
worked out. I checked the matrices by hand, and they seem full rank to
me, so this should not be a problem...

The nlp test is succesfull, however Moocho throws an exception which I
don't know if it's my fault or not:

MoochoSolver: Caught an std::exception of type std::logic_error
described as : ../../../../package
s/moocho/src/AbstractLinAlgPack/src/abstract/interfaces/
AbstractLinAlgPack_MatrixOpSubView.cpp:427
:

Throw number = 1

Throw test that evaluated to true: M_full_.get() == NULL

Error, the MatrixOpSubView object has not been initialize!

Any idea of what can be wrong? My code is a simple modification of the
WB counterexample (different xL, xU, x0, m_orig_, n_orig_ and
definitions of c(x) and f(x), but the rest is pretty much identical).

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Luca.

--