[Trilinos-Users] Cache performance of Trilinos MatVec

James C. Sutherland James.Sutherland at utah.edu
Tue Jun 9 17:22:49 MDT 2009

Does anyone know if there has been a study of, or effort to optimize,
cache performance of MatVec operations in Trilinos?

Specifically, I am finding that epetra_dcrsmv (sparse matvec) has
extremely bad cache performance (lots of cache misses) on an intel
chipset that I have.  This seems to be problematic for a range of
matrix sizes.  I have very sparse matrices (3-10 nonzero entries per
row), and these can range in size from O(10^2-10^10^5) rows.

Any thoughts?

James