[Trilinos-Users] Configuring Trilinos for MPI?

Bartlett, Roscoe A rabartl at sandia.gov
Mon Jan 12 15:15:41 MST 2009

Hello Trilinos Users and Developers,

As part of the Trilinos CMake transition effort, I think we are going to need to redo how the CMake build system finds and configures MPI for Trilinos.  However, before we do this, I would like to see all of the different ways that Trilinos users and developers configure Trilinos for MPI support through the current autotools system.  If as many of you as possible could send me your Trilinos MPI configure scripts, that would help me to see how MPI is getting configured by people that currently use the autotools build system for Trilinos and we can make sure that we have all of these cases covered in the CMake build system for Trilinos.

Specifically, I am interested to see how many of you specify raw C, C++, and Fortran compilers and then have the MPI-specific compiler options and link libraries passed in.  Alternatively, I (and many other people) have been using the common MPI compiler wrappers (e.g. mpicc, mpiCC, mpic++, mpif77, etc.) that come with most modern MPI implementations for a long time and I just wanted to know if everyone else is doing the same as well.  If you are currently using raw C, C++, and Fortran compilers, do the MPI compiler wrappers also exist for your MPI implementation and could you use those instead?

With the CMake build system you have 100% control over what compilers, compiler options, and link libraries are used for C, C++, Fortran (or any other language) but the issue is that we need to most common MPI use cases to be fall-over easy to make work.

If you could, please send your Trilinos MPI configure scripts to trilinos-framework at software.sandia.gov.

Thanks for your help,

- Ross

Dr. Roscoe A. Bartlett
Senior Member of the Technical Staff
Trilinos Software Engineering Technologies and Integration Lead
Sandia National Laboratories
Phone: (505) 275-6147