[Trilinos-Users] ML

Thomas George tgeorge at cs.tamu.edu
Mon Jan 12 09:16:33 MST 2009

Hi,

I am trying to use ML along with Belos with the default SA or DD
parameters as described in the user guide. However, I do get the
following message.  Depending on the default setting I use I get
different warnings for SA, DD etc. I didn't have a statement to use
smoother "ifpack list" in my code at all. Is this a bug in my code? I am
using version 8.03.

Unused parameters:
WARNING: Parameter "default values" SA   [unused] is unused
WARNING: Parameter "smoother: ifpack list"    [unused] is unused

The snippet of code that tries to set the default is shown below and the
call to the preconditioner creation is also shown.

  Teuchos::ParameterList List;

    if(PrecType == "SA") {
      cout<< " Setting default SA parameters " << endl ;
      ML_Epetra::SetDefaults("SA",List) ;
      List.set("smoother: type","symmetric Gauss-Seidel");
     } else if(PrecType =="DD") {
      cout<< " Setting default DD parameters " << endl ;
      ML_Epetra::SetDefaults("DD",List) ;
    } else if(PrecType =="DD-ML") {
      cout<< " Setting default DD-ML parameters " << endl ;
      ML_Epetra::SetDefaults("DD-ML",List) ;
    } else {
      cout << "Unknown default parameter setting " << PrecType << endl ;
      MPI_Finalize() ;
      exit (-1) ;
    }
    // overwrite some parameters. Please refer to the user's guide
    // for more information
    // some of the parameters do not differ from their default value,
    // and they are here reported for the sake of clarity

    // output level, 0 being silent and 10 verbose
    List.set("output", verbose) ;
    List.set("max levels", maxLevels) ;
    List.set("smoother: sweeps", smoothSweeps) ;
    List.set("coarse: max size", maxCoarseSize) ;

    cmembytes1(&mem1);
    start = MPI_Wtime() ;
    RCP<ML_Epetra::MultiLevelPreconditioner> Prec = Teuchos::rcp(new
ML_Epetra::
MultiLevelPreconditioner(*A, List)) ;
    assert(Prec != Teuchos::null) ;
    // verify unused parameters on process 0 put -1 to print on all
    // processes
    Prec->PrintUnused(0);