[Trilinos-Users] Epetra_FastCrsOperator

Heroux, Michael A maherou at sandia.gov
Mon Feb 9 09:43:20 MST 2009

Richard,

This class is purely experimental.  It is not a generally usable class.  There are a number of other options you can consider for improved kernel performance:

 *   You can find an Epetra Performance optimization guide online.  It gives you quite a bit of information on how to tune Epetra: http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/epetra/EpetraPerformanceGuide.pdf
 *   We also have an interface to OSKI, the sparse kernel package from UC Berkeley.  Information on its performance characteristics can be found here: http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/epetra/IanKarlin.pdf
 *   The primary Epetra OSKI matrix class is documented here:  http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/docs/r9.0/packages/epetra/doc/html/classEpetra__OskiMatrix.html
 *   We also support wrapping of PETSc matrices and vectors: http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/docs/r9.0/packages/epetraext/doc/html/classEpetra__PETScAIJMatrix.html
 *   Finally, although any of the above approaches can be a good answer, it is almost always possible for sophisticated users to provide their own implementation of Epetra_RowMatrix that specifically addresses their problem and performs better than a generic approach.  Trilinos is different than all other library packages that I know about in that all of our solvers and preconditioners use the Epetra_RowMatrix interface to access data.  Because of this, even if you use your own matrix data structures, you can still use all Trilinos preconditioners and solvers since they are not tied to a data structure, but instead access data through an interface.

Mike