[Trilinos-Users] Trilinos, Spectral Methods, Fast Fourier Transforms

Rhys Ulerich rhys.ulerich at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 05:32:20 MDT 2009

> I am not aware of any Trilinos packages implementing Fourier or Chebyshev
> transforms, but I would be grateful if you have any suggestions as to how to
> perform Fast Fourier (Chebishev) Transforms starting from Epetra_Vectors.

One approach is to perform transforms in each direction independently a la
P3DFFT (http://www.sdsc.edu/us/resources/p3dfft/).  You rearrange the data
so that a full, say, Y pencil is located on a single processor and then
transform only in Y.  Repeat for the other transformed dimensions.  The
presentation on the above page does a better job explaining the idea than
the user's guide does.  This technique forms the underpinnings of some
large-scale spectral DNS codes.   I am not sure how well suited the Trilinos
APIs are for this approach.

- Rhys