[Trilinos-Users] Updates on Trilinos+CMake

Bartlett, Roscoe A rabartl at sandia.gov
Sun Sep 28 14:44:07 MDT 2008

Hello Ali,

There is some support for Cmake in Trilinos 9.0 but it is limited to just the packages Teuchos and Epetra for the most part.

We may provide full support for Cmake in the next major release of Trilinos and indeed the Cmake system in that case would completely replace the current autotools-based system down the line.

We are currently conducting a detailed evaluation of how use and adapt Cmake for use as the Trilinos build system and testing infrastructure.  We will publish a technical report about the outcome of the evaluation of Trilinos/Cmake in the coming months.

Would Cmake support be a significant advantage for you and other Trilinos users?  If so, can you describe why Trilinos switching to Cmake would make your work easier and/or more productive?

Would the Trilinos user community welcome Trilinos totally switching to Cmake and dropping the current autotools-based system in the next major release of Trilinos?

We are trying to determine what route to go and we are interested in what the general Trilinos user community thinks about this issue.

Thanks,

- Ross

Dr. Roscoe A. Bartlett
Senior Member of the Technical Staff
Trilinos Software Engineering Technologies and Integration Lead
Sandia National Laboratories
Phone: (505) 275-6147