[Trilinos-Users] ML hangs

Jonas Thies J.Thies at rug.nl
Tue Sep 23 07:24:30 MDT 2008

Hi,

I have a rather technical problem with ML.
When running in parallel, from time to time the program
hangs during an ML preconditioned Aztec solve. I attached
a debugger and found the processes are MPI_Waiting in either of these
three functions:

* Epetra_MpiDistributor::DoWaits

* Epetra_MpiComm::SumAll

* ML_Comm_CheapWait

I'm using a full MGV cycle, my smoother is a non-overlapping
Ifpack_AdditiveSchwarz with custom ILU on each subdomain. I'm currently
using Trilinos 8.0.5 on 16 IBM Power6 cpu's, the compiler is IBM xlC_r
9.0 with POE MPI.

I guess that's pretty vague...
I'm not very good with totalview, maybe someone has some hints for me?
Or is it a known issue and I just have to update to a more recent
Trilinos version? Furthermore, I do not trust the machine and its
software :)

Thanks,
Jonas