[Trilinos-Users] Request of information

Michele De Stefano micdestefano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 01:23:51 MDT 2008

Good Morning.

I'm a new Trilinos user but I've used PETSc a lot until now.

I noticed that Epetra uses the "int" data-type for matrix/vector
indices. Being "int" a 32 bit integer, this prevents to treat more
than 2147483647 elements (i.e. 2^31 - 1 elements).

In geophysical exploration it is frequent to have system of equations
with more than 2147483647 equations (mostly for seismic inversions,
where the number of acquired data is huge).

PETSc gives the possibility to use 64 bit indices (if you compile them
with the --with-64-bit-indices options, the PetscInt data type is a
typedef of a "long long", which is a signed 64 bit integer) so it can
treat problems with more than 2147483647 equations.

Is it possible to do something similar using Trilinos ?

Is Tpetra a solution to this problem ?

If the answer to the previous questions is "no", is there a way to
overcome the 2147483647 limit ?

Thank you in advance.
Michele