[Trilinos-Users] Block-Davidson usage advice needed

Gerry Boland gerboland at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 09:44:59 MDT 2008

Hello all,
I need some advice on finding eigenvalues of an as-large-as-possible sparse
symmetric matrix with real entries. I am using the Block-Davidson method and
can successfully obtain the expected results.

But what I'm struggling to understand are the choices of "Block Size" and
"Block Number" - I'd like to be able to choose these at run-time if possible
for my case. Currently my ad-hoc choices sometimes work, and sometimes the
algorithm hasn't converged before hitting the Max Restarts limit. Is this
purely due to my lack of understanding of the algorithm? Or are there some
rough choices that will get the job done?

And advice or recommended references on this would be very much appreciated!
Thanking you in advance
-Gerry Boland