[Trilinos-Users] Succesfull compilation and testing under ubuntu 8.04

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Tue Oct 21 05:19:34 MDT 2008

Some comments:

On Oct 21, 2008, at 4:17 AM, Riccardo Rossi wrote:

> I finally managed to get pytrilinos to work on my Ubuntu 8.06 64bit
> system
>
> To have it working (and the tests running fine_) i had to do a
> number of
> things:
>
> 1 - (As proposed by Bill Spotz) In
> PyTrilinos/__init__.py, change
>
>     except SystemError, ImportError:

>     except (SystemError, ImportError):

Note that there are two places to make this change, and the proper
place to make the changes is packages/PyTrilinos/src/setup.py, lines
92 and 95.

> 2 - This same fix needs to be applied in the set_path.py in both the
> directory "test" and "examples"

Thanks.  I had not caught those setpath.py issues.

> 3 - ... this is somehow stupid but it took time to me to understand
> that
> "from Pytrilinos import Epetra" does not work ... while the simpler
> "import Epetra" does work correctly. I have the impression that the
> documentation is misleading in this sense but i may be wrong

This is a "trick" I employ.  I want to be able to force the tests to
pick up the build directory extension modules.  I do this by adding to
the search directory list a path for which

     import Epetra

works.  This will not work with an installed version of PyTrilinos,
which requires

     from PyTrilinos import Epetra

This just gives my fine-grain control over where I import from and
makes possible command-line arguments that request a local build
PyTrilinos or an installed PyTrilinos.  I could put this info into the
documentation so that users can understand it.

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-0154      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov **