[Trilinos-Users] shared LIBs cannot be built, possibly -fPIC is missing

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Sat Oct 18 15:44:48 MDT 2008

On Oct 18, 2008, at 3:47 AM, Orlando.Rivera at lrz.de wrote:

> any idea how can I solve that or should I pass FLAGS=-fPIC,

Yes, and for CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, too.

> what about the
> objects statically built ,  I assume  you have 2 versions of the same
> object  one statically and one dynamically  linked ,  so the static
> *.o
> is packet with ar   and the *.o build with -fPIC is to go  in the *.so
> is that correct  ?

No.  We only generate the PIC objects and they go into both the static
and dynamic libraries.

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-0154      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0370    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov **