[Trilinos-Users] a request

David Day dmday at sandia.gov
Tue Nov 4 09:32:43 MST 2008

Dear Jules Gilbert,
Do you mean that you wish to determine a matrix with specified row and
column sums?  You don't need Trilinos for that.

Let e denote the m column vector of ones and let apostrophe denote
transposition.  One solution is

A = x e' + e y' + a e e'

where x and y are vectors orthogonal to e, and a is a scalar.  The
scalar a is the sum of the row sums, or the sum of the column sums
(which must coincide).  Just read off x and y from

x = (A- a e e') (e/m),  y = (A'- a e e') (e/m)
--David Day