[Trilinos-Users] Fwd: configuring teuchos on Mac OS X 10.5

Joshua Bronson jabronson at gmail.com
Thu May 15 20:27:06 MDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 2:57 PM, Joshua Bronson wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Schiek, Richard L <rlschie at sandia.gov
> > wrote:
> Josh,
>
> I use a mac to build trilinos and it looks like you're hitting on
> the Mac OS filesystem issue where it is case preserving but case
> insensitive.  So while CC would be the C++ compiler in most cases,
> it looks like cc to the mac file system and it invokes the c compiler.
>
> Here's how I invoke trilinos's configure:
>
> ../trilinos-8.0.5/configure \
>  CXX=icpc \
>  CC=icc \
>  F77=ifort \
>  CXXFLAGS="-O3" \
>  CCFLAGS="-O3" \
>  F77FLAGS="-O3"
>
> This specifies the intel compiler set, but if you set CXX=g++,
> CC=gcc and F77=g95 or g77 you should be on the right path.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Rich
>
> Foiled by the case-insensitive Mac filesystem again! After
> configuring with CXX=g++, CC=gcc, and F77=gfortran, Trilinos built
> successfully. Thanks Rich!
>
> What I'm really after though is PyTrilinos. So I just tried building
> Trilinos again after additionally passing "--enable-pytrilinos --
> with-python=/usr/local/bin/python2.4" to configure, and
> unfortunately the build failed again. I've attached an excerpt of
> the output, let me know if I can provide any additional info. I'm
> also copying the pytrilinos list on this email, apologies if anyone
> gets this twice.
>
> Thanks again everyone for the quick responses.
>
> Josh

Hey Rich,

I was just curious if there might be some way to rig the configure
script to detect this situation? As it is, any out-of-the-box build of
Trilinos is going to fail in a stock Mac OS X development environment,
which strikes me as a shame and probably somewhat avoidable. If
there's no good way to detect this, maybe at least adding something
about making sure CC != gcc could be added to that warning message
that gets printed out:

  ***Almost always this error is caused by a typo in the list of
configure arguments
that is not related to the math library.  Look especially for missing
quotes or hyphens in any value related to compiler flags or libraries...

Josh