[Trilinos-Users] NOX = Powell's Hybrid Method

Roger Pawlowski rppawlo at sandia.gov
Sun Mar 9 08:58:54 MDT 2008

Hi Donald,

Powell's method is similar to our "NonlinearCG" algorithm.  An example
of how to use it is in:

Trilinos/packages/nox/test/epetra/1Dfem/1DfemNonlinearCG.C

For the trust region algorithm, the trust region solver builds a dogleg
direction from two simple directions specified by the user.  The two
directions are typically "Newton" and "Steepest Descent".  You set these
by setting the "Newton" direction as the method in the "Direction"
sublist and setting "Steepest Descent" as the method in the "Cauchy
Direction" sublist.  An example of this can be found in:

Trilinos/packages/nox/test/epetra/1Dfem/1DfemScaledInexactTrustRegion.C

Best regards,
Roger Pawlowski