[Trilinos-Users] Problem using named pipes with EpetraExt

Tudor Buican tudor at timb.com
Wed Jul 23 10:58:36 MDT 2008

Hi everybody.

I'm setting up an Epetra_CrsMatrix by reading in data in Matrix Market
format with MatrixMarketFileToCrsMatrix. Everything is fine when the
data come from an actual file. However, the source of the data is
another application that is running concurrently and it would be very
convenient to have this application write to a fifo which is read by
MatrixMarketFileToCrsMatrix, instead of writing to, and then reading
from, an actual file.

When I set up a fifo and tell MatrixMarket, etc., to read from it,
things work fine if I have only one MPI process, but fail as soon as I
try to run more than one such process. As I mentioned above, things work
without a hitch when reading from a file rather than from a fifo. Here
are the error messages I get with the fifo and more than one MPI
process:

Epetra ERROR
-1, ../../../../packages/epetraext/src/inout/EpetraExt_CrsMatrixIn.cpp,
line 119
Epetra ERROR
-1, ../../../../packages/epetraext/src/inout/EpetraExt_CrsMatrixIn.cpp,
line 42

Has anybody run into this problem before? Is there a better way of doing
this?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Tudor
--
Tudor N. Buican, PhD