[Trilinos-Users] Resend: Problem with Multiply()

Tudor Buican tudor at timb.com
Fri Jul 18 10:44:09 MDT 2008

Hi, Alan.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Indeed, the domain and range maps are
confusing, especially since the online documentation really lacks
detail. My "understanding" (based more on my general assumptions than on
what's in the documentation) was that, in order to compute p=A*q, the
range map for A had to be the same as the map for p, and the domain map
for A the same as that for q. Is there a better/more detailed discussion
of these maps than the online documentation? Something like "Trilinos
for Dummies" would come in handy here...

In the meantime, I seem to have found a quick fix to my problem by
building the Crs matrix as a square matrix with the larger of the two
dimensions (using p's map as both range and domain map) and padding q
with zeros to the larger dimension. I guess the price for this is that
one has to store the extra vector elements.

Anyway, please let me know if there is extra literature on the maps.
Also, any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
-Tudor