[Trilinos-Users] Model-fitting applications in trilinos

Kevin Long kevin.long at ttu.edu
Wed Jan 30 14:59:34 MST 2008

On Monday 28 January 2008 18:01, Ali - wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> While the images of interest are formed by fluorescent micro-particles or
> bio-fluid cells, the outcome is very similar to images of galaxy clusters:
> due to the same point-spread function, the spherical objects, being of
> micro or macro size, are projected to 2D Airy function intensities in image
> plane which can be well approximated by Gaussian. A typical cell or
> micro-particle concentration does generate overlapping of images. Moreover,
> in the case of optical imperfections such as refractive index mismatch, it
> is well possible to have ellipsoidal Gaussians too -- it sounds like a
> challanging problem.

Very interesting. You might look at what astronomers are doing for model-based
image matching. They have been working on the problem for decades. I'm sure
some automated method is used to identify galaxies in the Hubble Deep Field
images.

Do you need to track the objects over time?

> Perhaps one way of making the solutions convex is to assign each object
> image a 'property' which labels it as an individual. For example, it is
> very fast and easy to find the centriod of each object image; assigning
> each object a unique centroid should avoid the problem of object exchange
> which creates a new solution, this may be used as an initial guess for the
> Gaussian centre parameters while providing the total number of objects
> which is also unknown. In this case, which numerical technique (which is
> very likely to be already implemented in DAKOTA) can solve the problem of
> multiple peak detection?

> What are the keywords for this 'one-shot bunch
> fitting' approach?

I'm not sure. I'm basing my knowledge of the method on a couple of talks I saw
a few years back. However, I would guess that people have also tried the "one
shot bunch fitting" approach in automating spectroscopic analysis.

- k

--
Dr. Kevin Long
Texas Tech University