[Trilinos-Users] Model-fitting applications in trilinos

Ali - saveez at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:17:30 MST 2008

Ross,

Thanks for refering me to DAKOTA. I am trying to carry out model-based segmentation image processing using optimisation approches. As an example, assume an image involving randomly distributed Gaussian intensities, or something like this:

http://piv.vsj.or.jp/piv/data/01/piv01_1.bmp .

The aim is to detect all the Gaussian objects in the image by fitting them to a 2D Gaussian model which has 4 parameters: (x, y, sigma, I) with x and y being the centre, sigma being the deviation and I being the peak intensity. Typically each image includes a few hundereds of these little Gaussian objects, multiplied by the 4 parameters, we are dealing with over 1e+3 parameters in total.

Normally people solve this problem by segmenting the individual object (eg using watershed algorithm) and then fit them one by one using Levenberg-Marquadt method. But I was wondering, while the Trilinos solvers can handle millions of unknown in a typical PDE problem solved by FEM, why shouldn't it be possible to fit 'all' of the objects at once to a model which is simply a linear superposition of the individual models?

-Ali