[Trilinos-Users] Correction (Two questions on the smoother of a multilevel preconditioner)

Jonathan Hu jhu at sandia.gov
Fri Jan 18 14:36:01 MST 2008

Hi Ernesto,

Sorry for the late reply. In answer to your questions, yes, you can
interpret smoothing as a Richardson iteration. The option "smoothing:
damping factor", however, does not correspond to your \eta; it's ignored
in the case of Aztec smoothers, and there is no other way presently to
use a damping factor.

What sort of smoothers are you interested in using? Ifpack, for example,
provides a variety of DD, incomplete factorizations, and SOR methods. I
would encourage you to have a look at the other smoother options
available in ML.

Regards,
Jonathan

Jonathan J. Hu, mailto:jhu at sandia.gov
Postal address: Sandia National Laboratories
                Mailstop 9159
                PO Box 969, Livermore, CA 94551-0969
Tel / Fax (925) 294-2931