[Trilinos-Users] Trilinos on Mac OSX Leopard

Daniele Avitabile D.Avitabile at surrey.ac.uk
Tue Feb 19 06:06:22 MST 2008

Hi all,

I am trying to install Trilinos on a PowerPC running Leopard, and I will
have to do the same very soon on an Mac Intel platform.

Did you ever tried to do that? When launching the configure script (I've
done quite a few Trilinos installation, and I'm quite sure the configure
script is fine), it fails to compile a simple fortran program launched
by teuchos.

Leopard does include built-in ompenmpi wrappers but... not for fortran
77 and fortran 90. You can easily realise that because

1) compiling a hello.f program results in the irritating message
Unfortunately, this installation of Open MPI was not compiled with
Fortran 77 support.  As such, the mpif77 compiler is non-functional.

2) in /usr/share/openmpi, where Leopard installed openmpi wrappers, you
can realise that the message above is produced by the file
help-opal-wrapper.txt, and that the corresponding f77 file
mpif77-wrapper-data.txt has a blank "compiler" field. The same for f90.

Needless to say, I have tried to rebuild openmpi from scratch with

./configure CC=gcc F77=gfortran FC=gfortran CXX=g++; make all install

the installation goes fine, but the mpif77 command gives me again the
"not compiled with fortran 77 support"

Any ideas out there?

Best.

Daniele