[Trilinos-Users] [Pytrilinos-users] expected Trilinos on shared memory machine.

Heroux, Michael A maherou at sandia.gov
Wed Apr 9 10:30:40 MDT 2008

Daniel,

Depending the preconditioner you are using with AztecOO, you should see improvement in performance running in parallel.  Performance might be limited by the shared bandwidth on your machine.  What kind of platform are you using?

Mike

On 4/9/08 10:51 AM, "Daniel Wheeler" <daniel.wheeler2 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Bill Spotz <wfspotz at sandia.gov> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Daniel Wheeler wrote:
>

> > In our code, for a typical problem the majority of the compute time is
> > spent in the "AztecOO.AztecOO(A, LHS, RHS)"  function.
> >

>  This is just a constructor.  Doesn't most of your time get spent in
>
>     Solver.Iterate(self.iterations, self.tolerance)
>
>  where Solver is the result of the constructor?

Yes. Sorry Bill. I pasted in the wrong line. So, let me reiterate the
question. Given that the majority of the time is being spent in
"Solver.Iterate(self.iterations, self.tolerance)", would you expect
major speeds ups by compiling Trilinos in parallel and running on a
shared memory machine?

--
Daniel Wheeler