[Trilinos-Users] ATLAS and GotoBLAS

Michael A Heroux maherou at sandia.gov
Mon Jun 18 15:56:08 MDT 2007

One addendum:  One way to improve sparse matrix kernel performance is to
call the OptimizeStorage() method on the Epetra_CrsMatrix class just after
calling the FillComplete() method.  The OptimizeStorage() method provides a
modest  optimization that is a no-op if the matrix is already packed (e.g.,
if the StaticProfile argument to the constructor was set to true).  If the
matrix data is not packed then this method temporarily increases memory use
but will tend to decrease the final memory size of the matrix and result in
a 10-30% performance improvement in cases I observe.

In Trilinos 8.0 (due out in a few months), we will turn OptimizeStorage() on
by default, with an option to turn it off.

Mike