[Trilinos-Users] MPI and Trilinos

Jed Brown trilinos at 59A2.org
Fri Jul 20 02:01:18 MDT 2007

On 19 Jul 2007, virscosta at gmail.com wrote:

> Ok.  But does anybody know if there's any problem to install these
> packages on the same machine?  I have a computer with 2 processors
> (Intel Xeon Quad) and I want to use mpi, but I'm afraid of install
> many versions of mpi and have problems... I already have lam-mpi
> installed, but I'd like to test the others like mpich and openmpi.

You should install the different MPI implementations in different
directories, then use the Trilinos configure option
`--with-mpi=$MPIHOME'.  The catch is that all libraries you would like
to link against must be built against the same MPI and you must invoke
the appropriate mpirun/mpiexec.  I normally use openmpi, and keep it in
MPIHOME=/usr/local so that it doesn't interfere with the Debian
installed mpich.  I have my path search /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin.
Note that the Debian alternatives system is not really satisfactory for
building external software with multiple MPI implementations.

--
Jed Brown        jed at 59A2.org        http://59A2.org