[Trilinos-Users] XYCE math formulation article

Eric Keiter erkeite at sandia.gov
Wed Jul 18 14:31:56 MDT 2007

Hi Neal,

I think I received an email from your boss a few months ago.  Sorry I didn't
reply - I was on travel at the time.

Anyway, I'm the original author of the math document.  The thing you are
doing in SPICE to produce the J*dx = -f system should work, as long as the
J*x you are subtracting is based on the correct x.  I actually considered
doing that at one point in time, (mostly for doing exact comparisons between
Xyce and SPICE) but never got around to it.

The dx that the linear solver is solving for needs to be the total dx - ie
the sum of the dx from the Newton step and also the dx due to voltage
limiting.  SPICE applies the dx_{voltlim} in an implicit way, so SPICE's
unmodified system is in fact:

  J * x^{k+1} = -f + J * x_{voltlim}

Where x_{voltlim} is the solution after voltage limiters have been applied
to it.

If you add -J*x^{k} to both sides you get:

  J* dx_{total} = -f + J * dx_{voltlim}

  where:  dx_{voltlim} = x_{voltlim}-x^{k}
          dx_{total} = dx_{Newton} + dx_{voltlim}

SPICE applies the voltlim terms internally to each device load, by applying
the limiter functions to local variables that are derived from what is in
x_{k}.  Then, when it calculates J and f, it uses the "limited" values, and
essentially throws away x_{k}.

Anyway, this is all a long way of saying that what you are doing should
work.  And, I wouldn't call it "cheating" ;  doing it your way is a lot
faster than rewriting every device model!

Also regarding your question on numerical errors;  there will of course be
roundoff differences between what you are now doing and SPICE's original
form.  However, those roundoff differences won't necessarily be more or less
accurate.  In particular, if you want to use iterative linear solvers (you
probably don't...), iterative solvers will generally be happier if you are
solving for dx, as the values in dx will tend to be small, especially as the
solution gets near convergence.

The main reason we used the DX formulation, however, is that this is what
most nonlinear solvers do, and we planned to use  the NOX solver library.

By the way, the math document is mostly written for folks who have numerical
backgrounds but haven't ever tried to understand circuit simulation before;
it doesn't have much in it that would be pertinent to making a circuit
simulator faster or more robust.

Thanks,
Eric Keite
erkeite at sandia.gov