[Trilinos-Users] Slow AztecOO solve time

Neal Parsons nparsons at umich.edu
Fri Jul 13 12:35:21 MDT 2007

Thank you all for your responses. Since our SPICE package generally
deals with smaller circuits, it sounds like Amesos/KLU solver would be
better than the iterative AztecOO solver. I'm working for a very small
software company for the summer that currently uses the Berkely SPICE
engine, which fails roughly 1/3 of our NCSU benchmark test suite. The
motivation for integrating Trilinos libraries comes from reading about
XYCE's use of Trilinos.  We are hoping to get better convergence and
faster results.

Our solvers were updated to solve J*deltaX(k+1) = -f, as Xyce does. We
initially used AztecOO Line Search Based solver with ILU
preconditioning for our solver. This gave accurate operating point
results, but as noted, was generally slow for transient computations.
After wrestling with AztecOO for several weeks to no avail and given
the advice here, it appears that my next step would be to change-over
from AztecOO to Amesos/KLU. I just want to make sure that this
implementation will be beneficial to our application. Also, any other
suggestions might be helpful as well. Again, thanks for your help.

Neal Parsons