[Trilinos-Users] aztecoo+sundance problem

Gideon Simpson grs2103 at columbia.edu
Wed Jan 17 18:52:06 MST 2007

I've been getting the following error when solving some problems that
come out of Sundance, using GMRES+DomainDecomposition+ILU

         Warning: a breakdown in this method
         has occurred and solution has not converged.

         Solver:                 gmres
         number of iterations:   1

         Recursive residual =         nan

         Calculated Norms                                Requested Norm
         --------------------------------------------    --------------

         ||r||_2 / ||r0||_2:             1.000000e+00    1.000000e-12

                 Solution time: 9.740000 (sec.)
                 total iterations: 1
Epetra ERROR -2, ../../../../packages/aztecoo/src/AztecOO.cpp, line 824
Solve failed! state = Crashed
message=Aztec solver failed: numerical breakdown
iters taken = 1
final residual = nan
matrix written to badMatrix.dat
RHS vector written to badVector.dat

The matrix and RHS data files look fine, and when I solve the problem
using an Amesos direct solver, the answer is consistent.  What is the
nature of this error and how might I correct it?

-Gideon Simpson
  Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
  Columbia University