[Trilinos-Users] --enable-opt enough?

Michael A Heroux maherou at sandia.gov
Wed Dec 26 17:21:21 MST 2007

David,

Since overall performance is largely determined by Epetra kernel
performance, the most important way to make sure you are getting good
performance is to go through the Epetra Performance Optimization Guide:

http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/epetra/EpetraPerformanceGuide.pdf

This will suggest compiler flags, in particular for Fortran since the key
sparse matrix kernels in Epetra are written in Fortran.  If you are using
ML, then CFLAGS is also important.  For C++, CXXFLAGS is how to get better
optimization options.  Using ³-O² for C and C++ and then ­O3 for Fortran
(plus a few others as documented in the above guide) should be a reasonable
start.

Mike