[Trilinos-Users] aztecOO thyra trouble

Marco Morandini morandini at aero.polimi.it
Tue Apr 3 10:16:00 MDT 2007

Bartlett, Roscoe A wrote:
> Hello Marco,
>
> The AztecOO/Thyra adapters work in parallel (tested in other packages
> like moocho and rythmos) but the simple test program that you are trying
> to run has not been run in parallel (see the file
> Trilinos/packages/aztecoo/test/definition).  To avoid confusion, I
> really should throw an exception when np > 1.  Basically, as long as you
> create your Epetra maps correctly (see Epetra documentation) and create
> the appropriately distributed Epetra_[Multi]Vector and Epetra_CrsMatrix
> (or other Epetra_Operator) objects correctly, then the AztecOO/Thyra
> adapters will do the right thing independent of parallelism.
>
> Rather coding directly to the AztecOO/Thyra adapters, I might suggest
> that you use the class Thyra::DefaultRealLinearSolverBuilder in the
> package Stratimikos to access linear solvers.  See the example at:
>

> http://software.sandia.gov/Trilinos/packages/docs/r7.0/packages/stratimi
> kos/doc/html/simple__stratimikos__example_8cpp-example.html
>
> By using this class from Stratimikos, you can access all of the linear
> solver and preconditioner capabilities in Amesos, AztecOO, Belos
> (Trilinos Dev only), Ifpack and ML through a single parameter list
> driven interface.  All you do is wrap your Epetra objects and Thyra
> objects (see above example) and then you can switch back and forth
> between any of these various solver methods.

I was trying the AztecOO/Thyra adapters test because
the stramitikos example hangs in parallel, but work
when run with only one process (it hangs also
with different matrix files,
like FourByFour.mtx):

marco at mbdyn-mm:~/Programmi/Trilinos/trilinos-7.0.5/Build/packages/stratimikos/example>
mpirun -np 2 simple_stratimikos_example.exe
--linear-solver-params-file=aztecoo.ifpack.xml
--matrix-file=../../aztecoo/thyra/test/KheadSorted.mtx
Teuchos::GlobalMPISession::GlobalMPISession(): started processor with
name mbdyn-mm and rank 0!

Reading linear system in Epetra format from the file
'../../aztecoo/thyra/test/KheadSorted.mtx' ...
Teuchos::GlobalMPISession::GlobalMPISession(): started processor with
name mbdyn-mm and rank 1!

Printing statistics of the Epetra linear system ...

   Epetra_CrsMatrix epetra_A of dimension 8 x 8
   ||epetraA||inf = 4.76133e+06
   ||epetra_b||2 = 2.27672e+06
   ||epetra_x||2 = 0

Reading parameters from XML file "aztecoo.ifpack.xml" ...

   Entering
Thyra::AztecOOLinearOpWithSolveFactory::initializeOp_impl(...) ...

and stays there forever.

Thanks,

Marco