[Trilinos-Users] Epetra_CrsMatrix and AztecOO

Mike Heroux maherou at sandia.gov
Sun Nov 6 22:13:00 MST 2005

Bora,

What you are running into is some of the legacy design issues of Aztec, a
Krylov solver package developed quite some time ago that provides the core
functionality of AztecOO.  Aztec was designed with PDE-related matrices in
mind.  As a result, in some places it assumes that the user matrix is both
square and has a diagonal.  If your matrix is rectangular or has does not
provide all diagonal values (even if they are zero), then some computation
and communication primitives can fail, as you have seen.

Epetra does not have these restrictions.  It is completely general in its
support of matrix patterns and distribution.  However, since AztecOO uses
Epetra in conjunction with the underlying Aztec package, your use of Epetra
is restricted when used with AztecOO.

Mike